The other morning, I received an unexpected parcel. Everybody loves getting post (when it isn’t bills of course), and unexpected post is surely the most glorious of all. Inside was a brown paper bag with “I’ve bought you a bag of grubs…” written on it. I squeezed the bag gently and could make out around a dozen witchetty grub size shapes. Needless to say, I was intrigued.
On unfolding the bag to see inside, the inner flap revealed more writing: “Only joking, it’s turmeric!” I must admit I was a little relieved. The thoughtful gift came with a recipe recommendation: Green Kitchen Stories’ Turmeric Breakfast Muffins. Here’s my attempt…
- I have decided that I LOVE making muffins. They are really easy – just mix a few things together and Bob’s your uncle! Versions like this, which use olive oil instead of butter, are even easier.
- I used my Nutribullet to grind the walnuts and oats into flour, but I think I whizzed it up for a little too long so it went quite claggy.
- I managed to stain the grater, board, sponge, sink, my hands and my boyfriend’s trousers bright yellow with the turmeric. Whoopsy!
How it came out:
- Impressively, they looked just like the were supposed to. Very happy and wholesome!
- I gave these to friends on my birthday and they got excellent reviews. They’re not overly sweet, but taste very healthy – like they’re doing you good. Which I think they are with all those great ingredients.
- My claggy nut/oat flour (see above) actually turned out to produce little pockets of something that was almost like nut butter. Seeing as I LOVE peanut butter, that suited me down to the ground.
- Baking lessons learnt:
- Turmeric stains stuff. Really easily.
- Physical progress:
- No issues with this whatsoever – hooray!
If you want to have a go:
This bake, I have been mostly listening to:
Another gorgeous track from the wonderful James. Thanks again for supporting the blog, James – hope you like the look of these muffins! You can see another James Ollier track on this bake video: (also involving turmeric!) Orange & Turmeric Polenta Cake.
You can buy James’ EP ‘The Lifeboats’ here.
Caroline Crimson x